Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 147 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ve never seen either of those two- but I’ve known about pumpkin head for over 20 years, and hear about it every now and then.

I’ve NEVER heard of demon slayer, and it’s currently at its height of popularity.

That suggests to me Pumpkinhead > Demon slayer in the general population, all demographics considered given I don’t care about either but only have ever heard of one. And hear about it repeatedly.

Reactions: FSUNole98
For the record, I don't watch anime and I am largely unfamiliar with all but the most surface level examples of the medium, but I do see merch of Demon Slayer at Target or Walmart sometimes. I've heard people bring it up in passing, and I've seen enough people dressed as the girl with the green thing over her mouth to recognize it as Demon Slayer.

The example of Pumpkinhead is simply to correlate it with something that honestly, in year of our lord 2023, isn't a relevant IP in the slightest. Will people bring up Basketcase or Hobgoblins sometimes? Maybe, but I've honestly never seen references to properties like those outside of diehard Horror or movie buff fandom. No official merch even in a place like Spirit Halloween let alone Walmart, no convention presence in ones that I have been to, etc. It's not to say that any of these aren't worthwhile IP, I'm just saying that tossing the entire medium of anime out the speculation window feels weirdly abitrary when we are so willing to plead for our favorite toys to make it in despite them probably pushing ticket sales a negligible amount. Where's the Legacy post talking about the different audiences HHN reaches again? Some properties only serve audiences that are already guaranteed purchases.

Universal has been going after different audiences with HHN for a bit now. People thought Stranger Things wasn't Horror enough, that Billie or the Weeknd wouldn't work. Now Stranger Things 4, Dawn.FM, Lady Gaga are brought up every other post. It's weird until it's not. There is also an age factor to this, with some properties skewing older and some younger. I have also noticed that most ideas skewing younger (Billie, Weeknd, FNaF, Stranger Things) are pretty openly mocked on this board. Demon Slayer clearly has a much better shot than most other animated IP that are brought up frequently like Scooby Doo, or other localized television like Squid Game.

Are there larger anime properties than Demon Slayer? Sure. But once we have official confirmation that the Summer Walkthrough idea is underway we can start discussing if Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Jojo, and stuff that has really become ubiqutous in pop culture would be chosen instead. It's a horror event, and besides maybe Attack On Titan I couldn't name a bigger horror-adjacent anime.

Demon Slayer is on the spec map. I don't believe it is coming and I have zero strong opinions on the property itself, but I think to say it can't just because it's anime is just incorrect.

For emphasis, I'm going against the idea that it can't come to the event due to it being anime, not that it won't come to the event this year, which is a critical distinction. It most likely won't be represented this year, but it without a doubt has a reasonable chance of consideration.

Last edited:
Could the Top Secret IP possibly be Scream? New movie came out this past year that was a success. Previous attempt got pulled cause it got leaked too early. Makes a lot of sense IMO...

• Wow
Reactions: Ahmanet
I think it's better to just not assume something is Scream unless it's officially announced. Saves everyone a lot of heartache.

If it's really high-profile enough to warrant a top secret designation, would guess it's some kind of Warners/Netflix property. The Conjuring/Nun or IT would make sense in terms of having some kind of tie-in release with the event, though those have been white whales for so long that it might not be reasonable to expect.

WE'VE GOT OURSELVES A NEW MAP!

Something that hasn't been brought up yet is I think we might have a possible look at the house portals for the Parade Buildings. As the spec map is showing one portal in the area formerly known as Kidzone, and two portals back where the MIB bathrooms are.

I think what could be very likely is...

Portal in KidZone - Old Parade Building, probably a few tweaks to the route to get around construction.

MIB Bathroom Portal (Right side, closer to the Coke Freestyle) - New Parade Building, from that portal it has a straight shot down Backlot Dr to the Parade Building.

MIB Bathroom Portal (Left side, closest to Bathrooms) - Southernmost Sprung Tent (Descendants of Destruction, Puppet Theater etc.) It could most likely use the same switchback setup it had last year which was up alongside the left of the tents, thus giving space for the New Parade building line to head down Backlot Dr in front of the tent.

And that leaves the MIB tent Portal for the long walk around to the northern Sprung Tent (Bugs, Wicked Growth.)

Finally, if this all ends up being the case and both Parade Buildings still exit by E.T., you could chain all these houses by starting at the MIB tent portal and working clockwise.

Last edited:
Something that hasn't been brought up yet is I think we might have a possible look at the house portals for the Parade Buildings. As the spec map is showing one portal in the area formerly known as Kidzone, and two portals back where the MIB bathrooms are.

I think what could be very likely is...

Portal in KidZone - Old Parade Building, probably a few tweaks to the route to get around construction.

MIB Bathroom Portal (Right side, closer to the Coke Freestyle) - New Parade Building, from that portal it has a straight shot down Backlot Dr to the Parade Building.

MIB Bathroom Portal (Left side, closest to Bathrooms) - Southernmost Sprung Tent (Descendants of Destruction, Puppet Theater etc.) It could most likely use the same switchback setup it had last year which was up alongside the left of the tents, thus giving space for the New Parade building line to head down Backlot Dr in front of the tent.

And that leaves the MIB tent Portal for the long walk around to the northern Sprung Tent (Bugs, Wicked Growth.)

Finally, if this all ends up being the case and both Parade Buildings still exit by E.T., you could chain all these houses by starting at the MIB tent portal and working clockwise.

If anyone's been on TPS's Discord, this seems to be the case.

Tent amid a fart - Queue starts at MIB Backstage Gate, Sprung 1
Crossroads/Devil Went Down to Georgia - MIB Bathroom Portal Left, Sprung 2
TLOU - MIB Bathroom Portal Right, New Parade (B-108)
Universal Monsters: Paris - Old Parade (B-79)

Will be interesting to see how the exit convergence is on Monsters and TLOU, as I almost have to think they'd want to share the exit given the construction. Brain's a bit fuzzy on how they planned things when it was SNW for Kidzone, but it would make sense due to their proximity.

Last edited:
That suggests to me Pumpkinhead > Demon slayer in the general population, all demographics considered given I don’t care about either but only have ever heard of one. And hear about it repeatedly.
I'm on the opposite side of the fence, I've heard people occasionally say that they watch demon slayer, but the only time I've ever heard of the movie Pumpkinhead was in this thread

I’ve never seen either of those two- but I’ve known about pumpkin head for over 20 years, and hear about it every now and then.

I’ve NEVER heard of demon slayer, and it’s currently at its height of popularity.

I think that this is a case of two different demographics and their perspective. Demon Slayer is very popular with the 16-25 age range; where as most of the people in older demographics have never heard of demon slayer. Of course it goes the opposite way as well with pumpkin head, I’ve never heard of it but that’s because I’m from a younger demographic. I don’t there should be anything like “certain ip > certain ip” it’s just about what demographic you are a part of and what demographic universal wants to appeal to.

Why would HNN post a fake IP if they wanted to distract from a different IP?
Just because they posted it, doesn’t mean they necessarily wanted to distract from a different IP. Demon Slayer could be a code name or a fake name given by Universal, and where HNN got their intel from, gave them that name. Or maybe they are protecting a different IP and the source given.

Put me firmly in the "Demon Slayer is an IP misdirect for Evil Dead" camp.
There was demon slaying in that movie. Lol.

Pumpkinhead and Demon Slayer aren't even comparable in terms of current public interest. This is silly. Though again, don't really think DS is happening regardless lol.

In 2020, the Demon Slayer franchise generated an estimated annual sales revenue of ¥1 trillion ($8.75 billion). The 2020 film alone made $507 million at the box office. Meanwhile, Pumpkinhead made a whopping $4.4 million and its "Legacy" category on Wiki is filled with lists like "Fangoria's 101 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen." A cult film and a billion dollar entity are just two completely different machines (and this is coming from someone who likes Pumpkinhead and has never gone out of their way to watch or read any Demon Slayer). Can't get wrapped up in your own personal biases.

ds vs ph.png

Last edited:
The example of Pumpkinhead is simply to correlate it with something that honestly, in year of our lord 2023, isn't a relevant IP in the slightest. Will people bring up Basketcase or Hobgoblins sometimes? Maybe, but I've honestly never seen references to properties like those outside of diehard Horror or movie buff fandom. No official merch even in a place like Spirit Halloween let alone Walmart, no convention presence in ones that I have been to, etc. It's not to say that any of these aren't worthwhile IP, I'm just saying that tossing the entire medium of anime out the speculation window feels weirdly abitrary when we are so willing to plead for our favorite toys to make it in despite them probably pushing ticket sales a negligible amount. Where's the Legacy post talking about the different audiences HHN reaches again? Some properties only serve audiences that are already guaranteed purchases.
We r throwing it out as the mods and insiders repeatedly said it’s not coming…

Status
Not open for further replies.