Horror Movies Thread | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For me, III doesn't have anything approaching the emotional authenticity of the Jason Miller and Ellen Burstyn performances from the first movie.

I'd put it at a very solid 8/10, though. One of the best horror films of the 1990s, certainly.

Kudos for not including Legion/Exorcist III in there. Because that movie is baller.

Also, you might want to check out the TV series if you haven't already. It's actually really good, in my opinion.
EXORCIST III is terrific (no surprise, as Blatty wrote and directed it!).

The show was surprisingly solid.
I prefer the third to the first, don't @ me

Tossing my hat in the ring, Exorcist III is really dang good. An without a single doubt it still has one of the most effective jump scares in any film I've seen. Blatty did a full-on clinic on how you misdirect and lull the viewer into dropping their guard before literally going for the jugular.

It never is with The Purge. They always say "This is the last one!" so people come see it, and then they announce another film. They're so cheap to make and the ROI is huge normally so it's a tough franchise to give up on if you are purely looking at it from a money perspective.

Reactions: DannyPowers
Tbh I hope they keep making these. It certainly feels like there could be a Road Warrior in The Purge franchise's future, just discarding any notion of the movie being a horror flick and going full, big, balls-to-the-wall action. Previous movies have kiiiiinda moved in this direction but imo it's hampered by their need to be horror flicks as well.

That having been said, it feels like they're sending The Forever Purge out to die. Dated a week after F9 and the same weekend as Boss Baby. Viewcount on the trailer is also low.

Reactions: RevFreako
The first installment of the FEAR STREET trilogy on Netflix is pretty good. Characters are a mixed bag, but the movie homages the slick style of SCREAM-era 1990s slashers in a very fun way, and some of the kills are memorably brutal.

Fear Street Part One: 1994 (2021/Leigh Janiak) - 2.5 / 5 - Netflix's 'Horror Summer Event' came out of nowhere for me. For those similar to my lack of knowledge, Fear Street was a series penned by Goosebumps author R.L. Stine that was targeted towards a slightly older teenager crowd. The film adaptation centers around the plight of a group of teenagers that reside in Shadyside, a town that has been dubbed 'Killer Capitol, USA' because of how frequent seemingly normal citizens loose their mind and become deranged killers. The teenagers set off a chain of events that awakens a 300 year old evil and must fend off the horrific fiends of the town's past in order to save their own lives.

Right away, FS1:1994 starts with a great scene that really sells the 90s nostalgia in a greatly played homage to the horror classic Scream. The opening is tense, well shot and dripping with bits of mid 90s fun. Unfortunately, it's all down hill from there. I love the core idea at the center of this story and it really is a pretty damn good way to incorporate a slew of spooky horror classic killers into one film. The execution left a lot to be desired, unfortunately. The characters are just outrageously unlikable that the first few scenes we get to know them just plod along irritatingly and once they're fighting for their lives I don't have that apprehension of caring for the characters. The acting is, overall, pretty good, so it's frustrating that they just had nothing to work with to bring to life better characters. An interesting thing to note is that this film has an LGBTQ header on it on Netflix (the main two characters are a gay couple) but within the film that is constructed as flimsy character traits and leads to a pretty mind numbingly pointless sex scene that felt pretty exploitative. The direction has a few flairs but is overall about average. There are an extreme number of needle drops present in the film to hammer home that 90s nostalgia but it's mostly noticeable in the opening half hour before dying down. The kills and gore do get ramped up pretty grotesquely as the film goes on. While likely targeted towards a younger audience, more seasoned horror veterans will get a kick out some of the kills and homages to horror's past. It does seem like it might potentially become a 'gateway' horror film as young viewers might ask 'what is up with this guy chopping at this door so weirdly?' or 'where does this character in a burlap sack who is chasing teenagers come from?', etc.

I'll be watching the second and third films in this trilogy (they're releasing over the next two weekends) but I'll be honest in saying that I'm a little disappointed when I was really looking forward to this one once I learned what it was all about.

Also, I have a HUGE gripe with it in that: once the film gets to about the 30-40 minute mark and the killers are all chasing after our core group, there's LITERALLY no one in the entire town outside of the teenagers, the two cops and the monsters. I liked seeing the monsters go on their mini spree in the hospital so more of that would have been fun but the town is literally entirely empty for no reason that I can remember being given. It's a tiny nitpick but it just really stuck out to me the more the movie went on.

Popping by to say Fear Street was awesome. Really impressed by the way they layer in all the genre shifts and make it all make sense as a story, that's not easy!

Two is supposedly even better so gonna be on the lookout for that.

Reactions: belloq87
(Dp) Probably just cuz I wasn't expecting it, but Forever Purge may have the most upsetting scene I've seen in a recent horror flick.

Gas chamber trucks. And it's a looooooong scene.

Idk why, it just got to me.

Anyway, I think we've reached the point where the Purge franchise's horror roots are actively working against it. I had fun with this but the rhythms of the story were all off. Weirdly I think the director can pull off horror - that first cave sequence was tense - it's just that the script gives him nothing to use for actual scares. There was also a disturbing lack of awesome masks this time around. I wanted to see more of longhorn guy!

I was half kidding about Mad Max Purge earlier but now I genuinely think that's the direction they have to go if they want to continue this series. The scenes of chaos as the military tries to regain order were breathtaking and I kinda wish we got to see it in a hypothetical Purge movie that isn't still trying to work a Blumhouse budget.

Reactions: DannyPowers
I'm honestly the opposite? They pitched this as a giallo but the trailer their putting out makes it look like a Tale of Two Sisters remake. Colour palette doesn't look anything like Argento.

Honestly wonder if the trailers are misleading to make it seem more like a typical supernatural thriller, since the test screenings were allegedly disastrous.

I thought that one episode was better than the whole of the murder house season :grin:
I haven't been that unpleasantly uncomfortable since the movie version of Jack Ketchum's THE GIRL NEXT DOOR, and I think if I described what went on on either that or the first ep of AHS, I would get banned from the forum. It did redeem itself in the second half of the second episode, but yeesh.