Horror Movies Thread | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
THE CONJURING: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT is okay, but not much more than that. I'd put it in the bottom half of the full CONJURING filmography at this point.
I go the other way entirely. I've only seen the main Conjuring movies, but I place it right at the top.

Conjuring 3 was a good ride and think well done and different from the first two

However I kinda like the first two better. Now I like the film but something about those first two films just work, while this is almost felt like it as a TV show or Video game would have told the story better.

Reactions: amar831

Interesting. So it's not connected because the full Conjuring production team wasnt on it apparently. I'm not sure if that's how that works but okay.

La Llaorona on Shudder was a hundred times better than the American version anyway. Of course my fiance got sick of my singing the title to the theme of "my sharona."

La Llaorona on Shudder was a hundred times better than the American version anyway. Of course my fiance got sick of my singing the title to the theme of "my sharona."
I haven't heard it and I'm already sick of it.

Fun Rev Fact: I once had lunch with Geoffrey Feiger, brother of The Knack's drummer Doug, when I attended a couple days of Dr. Kevorkian's second trial.

Reactions: Legacy and jseal777
I attended a couple days of Dr. Kevorkian's second trial.

giphy.gif

EXcuse me WHAT????

giphy.gif

EXcuse me WHAT????
I was living in Michigan and dating a girl who was a low-level flunky in local TV news in Lansing at the time. I'd been a member of the Hemlock Society since high school, and believed as I do now that Dr. K. was an absolute humanitarian, so she got me a seat in the room. "Lunch" was sharing a cafeteria table, to be fair, but Feiger was nice enough.

Reactions: Tbad556 and Allison
I was living in Michigan and dating a girl who was a low-level flunky in local TV news in Lansing at the time. I'd been a member of the Hemlock Society since high school, and believed as I do now that Dr. K. was an absolute humanitarian, so she got me a seat in the room. "Lunch" was sharing a cafeteria table, to be fair, but Feiger was nice enough.

Talk about burying (no pun intended) the lede on your original comment, that’s an amazing story and a pretty incredible piece of history to watch unfold.

I still need to watch that. I'll probably do that after binging the Conjuring stuff.

I can dig it, I love the V/H/S series! On a semi-related note, I'm all for the genre starting to set themselves in the 90s some more. We've had our blast of 80s nostalgia for like a decade now, let's get some 90s centered nostalgia going!

Recently revisited 2008's LAKE MUNGO, an Australian faux documentary about a family dealing with the unusual death of the teenage daughter and some mysterious incidents surrounding it, and I'm kind of making it my mission to spread the word on behalf of this movie.

It's very much a subtle slow burn (and even on the slower end of that), but it eventually builds to a pay-off of bone-chilling and profoundly unsettling proportions. The fake documentary conceit is probably the most convincing example of that approach, with performances that feel entirely authentic.

It is not a jump scare machine in any way, so if that's your preferred brand of horror, it probably isn't for you, but for those looking for something properly unnerving (that also examines grief in a very grounded and extremely empathetic way), I recommend it highly. It contains imagery that is truly haunting in all meanings of that word.

Recently revisited 2008's LAKE MUNGO, an Australian faux documentary about a family dealing with the unusual death of the teenage daughter and some mysterious incidents surrounding it, and I'm kind of making it my mission to spread the word on behalf of this movie.

It's very much a subtle slow burn (and even on the slower end of that), but it eventually builds to a pay-off of bone-chilling and profoundly unsettling proportions. The fake documentary conceit is probably the most convincing example of that approach, with performances that feel entirely authentic.

It is not a jump scare machine in any way, so if that's your preferred brand of horror, it probably isn't for you, but for those looking for something properly unnerving (that also examines grief in a very grounded and extremely empathetic way), I recommend it highly. It contains imagery that is truly haunting in all meanings of that word.

I just picked up the fresh new Second Sight release of this (gorgeous set BTW). Totally agree on the recommendation. I didn't know that much about it the first time I saw it, and wasn't 100% sure if it was real true crime, or a found footage movie for most of it.

Some great twists too.

Reactions: belloq87
I just picked up the fresh new Second Sight release of this (gorgeous set BTW). Totally agree on the recommendation. I didn't know that much about it the first time I saw it, and wasn't 100% sure if it was real true crime, or a found footage movie for most of it.

Some great twists too.

The Second Sight release is fantastic.

Reactions: DannyPowers
Finally got around to watching Dr Sleep. Its hard not thinking about how much the original is so well like and this sequel would almost be impossible to pull off. I actually really like it. The performances were solid and it was shot beautifully.

I want to see this so bad, nut I'm afraid to watch it. Huge Kubrick fan, and we have those stories of how King does not like that adaptation.

How could anything even come close to pulling this off?

Curious to hear your spoiler-y thoughts? Was the Overlook revisit actually done well? Is the actual Shining (the "thing", not the movie) still as mysterious? I have my doubts, but am willing to listen.

I want to see this so bad, nut I'm afraid to watch it. Huge Kubrick fan, and we have those stories of how King does not like that adaptation.

How could anything even come close to pulling this off?

Curious to hear your spoiler-y thoughts? Was the Overlook revisit actually done well? Is the actual Shining (the "thing", not the movie) still as mysterious? I have my doubts, but am willing to listen.
I think Doctor Sleep is both an improvement on Kubrick's Shining, which I enjoy as a film but utterly, utterly fails as a King adaptation, and the single most direct apology to an author in the history of film. It's also an improvement on the novel, which due to the heavy 12-step evangelism is the only King I ever put down without finishing. Strongest possible recommendation to watch, and watch the director's cut.