NBCUniversal Evolution Plan | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

NBCUniversal Evolution Plan

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree with the updating of the Upper Lot to step up to Potter's rank, but I don't know so much about the area/land theming. While I totally don't mind updating of ride façades (Mummy, Transformers, Simpsons), I like having a bit of everything in the park to keep things different. In order to successfully create lands in the park, the Upper Lot would have to be split into 2 or 3 different lands, and the Lower Lot would be its own land. With the current layout of attractions, that obviously doesn't work. Haha.

Though it is't likely at the moment, I'd like to see an improvement of Transformer's façade to give it Florida's look. I'll admit, I'm pretty darn jealous of what their building looks like. I also wanna see some improvements of the carnival game portion of Simpsons Plaza, sprucing up of the Baker St. area, and they really need to update the Shrek portion of the park. Blegh.

I posted my idea for how the lands could be split in some thread, will have to find it.
I think I recall the post. Anyways, I wouldn't necessarily mind having lands/areas, I'd just prefer if we stayed the way we are. I like having a bit of everything, which makes it hard to specifically label certain areas of the park, but maybe it's time for change..?

I totally agree with you, but i feel that the only reason it was all random for every area before was because the park grew around the studio. I personally don't mind it the way it is, but with us getting a fully realized and immersive land with Potter, I think it might be time to slightly change the park to have mini lands/areas so that the rest of the park wont look outdated next to Potter. What I love about our Disneyland over Florida is that almost any new addition we get, it blends in with the older area it's next to.

If we dont get actual mini lands, i at least wanna see the facades of all the rides changed. If every ride on the Lowet Lot is a set of a movie, make the exterior a part of the set as well! Make it look immersive. I dont have a huge problem with the soundstage look since its USH but with Wizarding World, stuff like Simpsons, Mummy and Transformers will look hordendous

Reactions: Alexshow.
We could always keep a studio feel for the Wizarding World - just make a façade of Hogwarts on front of the show building and play some music from the movies. (Extreme sarcasm intended  :p )

I still think our Mummy exterior is an embarrassment compared to Singapore's and Florida's. Transformers' exterior feels unfinished. Simpsons' does as well.

Okay so here goes about Transformers' exterior: the reason why Florida and it have two different facades is pretty simple. Our TF is frontward facing, with the sides entirely in backstage areas. The main public only really pays attention to the front. The sides, unlike Florida, aren't really in public view. Thus there's no point to theme those sides.
I completely agree - theming the sides would be pointless, but they could at least do something about the entire front side of the building. Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see it, it feels like an unfinished piece of art. Kinda annoying in my opinion.

I get that, but it seems like somewhat of a cheap move on their part. Only theming/decorating one section of a building and saying "it can only been focused upon right here" is something you could apply to any theme park attraction, plausible or not. They could slap on a partially completed mural to a clearly visible show building for anything - JP, Potter, Minions, Mummy - without any attempt to let the respective theme really envelop it. I mean, what's done is done, but it seems like they're adding more Transformers elements near the attraction's entrance (highly themed meet-and-greets, talking characters). It would only make more sense to do something about that side of the building to complete the environment, wouldn't it?

It's been told to us that Universal always aims for impact - as in, "Gee wiz, that looks interesting. Let's go inside" versus "Wow, this matches Transformers/Terminator exactly."

Remember, Terminator was supposed to have a mural as well. It's the cheapest way to grab attention. But I agree. Transformer's facade is unusually poor - even by Hollywood standards.

I get that, but it seems like somewhat of a cheap move on their part. Only theming/decorating one section of a building and saying "it can only been focused upon right here" is something you could apply to any theme park attraction, plausible or not. They could slap on a partially completed mural to a clearly visible show building for anything - JP, Potter, Minions, Mummy - without any attempt to let the respective theme really envelop it. I mean, what's done is done, but it seems like they're adding more Transformers elements near the attraction's entrance (highly themed meet-and-greets, talking characters). It would only make more sense to do something about that side of the building to complete the environment, wouldn't it?
Financially, no. It makes no sense. It serves as a focal point, as Bob Dylan said. It's intended to draw attention to that particular point of vision only. Notice that it particularly draws the eye downward to the sign bearing the name of the ride - that's completely intentional from a design standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, I'd only do something about the side of the building facing the guests - not the sides blended into the Backlot.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that they could've done a better job with it on both ends. It's good to have something that grabs attention, and it's good to have something that pleases fans. It's even better when you've got both. I'm just more for the immersion that we could be capable of. Florida's building looks incredible, in my opinion - as if Transformers really could "roll out" from the N.E.S.T. facility.

Well I don't know if much can be done regarding theming... but I don't know how I feel about theme lands in USH. I mean, I don't know if a would like mini themed lands here, it doesn't sound quite right, since there is no space and well there is no really a point in theme lands with only one ride,I wouldn't mind a Jurassic theme land though, but Transformers? what else could you put there?? more cityscapes or more autobots?? I don't know. But truth be told, The Mummy needs some love, they didn't even cover that well what was painted on the roof that says "ET. 20th anniversary" I just noticed this sunday that if you look closely you can totally see what has been written there

I'm not at all implying that we should get a Transformers land - just saying that it's not as immersive as it could be.

Obviously, JP is gonna take the cake for best theming in the Lower Lot. I wish I could say that the rest of the attractions down there were in the same ranks!

Its hard for me to see a USH with fully themed lands, It's a Studio first and a Theme Park second, not to mention the size we have. But since it seems that Universal is changing the way they do things it would be something of a miracle if they can pull off a fully immersive/themed park in such a small area.

William, I agree with you. I understand what they tried to do, but again, I would've liked for the entire side of the building to be painted. There's that one side that awkwardly cuts out. Like....come on, just finish it.

The whole "designed to draw your eyes to a specific visual point" thing doesn't always work. Look at DCA's original "Postcard" entrance. Only made sense from a certain angle haha.

Its hard for me to see a USH with fully themed lands, It's a Studio first and a Theme Park second, not to mention the size we have. But since it seems that Universal is changing the way they do things it would be something of a miracle if they can pull off a fully immersive/themed park in such a small area.
Totally agree...

How would they currently split it up into lands? How would they specifically name each one??
Well where The Mummy sits would be "Egypt" and would feature the Roller Coaster and an awesome room full of lockers, moving on we would find ourselves in Transformers land with a state of the art arcade and Transformers The Ride 3D and a shop and finally Isla Sorna or Jurassic Land, no pun here since I love this franchise.

Well in a serious note I don't think they will... it wouldn't make sense since the only things there are their respective rides and that's it....

Last edited by a moderator: