Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash - General Discussion

Based off of my personal experience, this attraction has an abnormally slow moving line. Hopefully this is due to social distancing guidelines etc. But for an Omni-mover, this is about as low capacity as it gets.

Personally, I think it's because they only seat two (I've witnessed first hand a family of 5 debating at boarding who was going to sit with who long enough that multiple vehicles passed by empty... and I'd guess that happens a lot), and that the cars are also spaced pretty far apart, so even at it's best, it's only going to board two people every few seconds. Add to that it seems to go into snail mode pretty often, as well as all the people in line who get caught up in the queue interactions, and it can be relatively slow.

Riding it yesterday with a 5 min wait, there were several families stopping to look at the queue and watching the preshows. Seems like that could also be part of the hold up. When I boarded, I didn’t have box in front of or behind me occupied.

Yeah lots of issues with the operation of this ride. When I rode it yesterday they were doing virtual queue. Only one person managing the line out front. VQ and Express are so close outside there is a big confusion. The looky loos and picture takers certainly slow it down. The merger between the express and main queue inside is poorly executed. The queue is looking pretty bad after only a few months. Furniture scuffed and artwork pulled off the walls. The pace of the omnimover seems too slow. I know they have to slow it down for certain people but it seems always at a snails pace.
Riding it yesterday with a 5 min wait, there were several families stopping to look at the queue and watching the preshows. Seems like that could also be part of the hold up. When I boarded, I didn’t have box in front of or behind me occupied.

Yes, for an Omnimover, the line for this ride moves PAINFULLY slow. There are moments inside the queue where you don’t move for awhile and you have to hear multiple repeats of each rooms 1-2 minute recorded dialogue. I think the big problem is them having to constantly slow and stop the ride. The ride runs in the slower 8-9 minute B-mode more than it does the normal 4-5 minute A-mode. Hopefully the can work out the operational kinks soon!

Is there an underlying reason for this?
My guess is the exit conveyer belt isn’t too long so some guests may not be getting out in time. On the other hand, the boarding conveyer belt is longer but they don’t let you board the car until after it has passed you/yellow line, so I’ve seen guests having to walk a bit to catch up with it. Whereas on Forbidden Journey, they let you board the car before it passes you/yellow line. (This is all from my experiences at these rides)

It was pretty obvious even before any operational challenges that it wasn't going to be a people-eater.

Not sure Universal has really figured out the main selling point of an Omnimover though. One of the reviews said there are 45 standard ride vehicles (I’m assuming non-standard = ADA), so let’s say there are 50 total. Two per car x 50 cars x 12 laps an hour (five minute ride time) is 1,200 an hour. Scale that down by the time between unload and load, groups with odd numbered parties, and slowing/stopping for people who need time to get in/out and you’re looking at something in the 1,000 an hour range, which is way off what that type of system should be capable of doing. I hope they haven’t slowed the belt way down for the sake of a five minute ride time.

I found another point of infliction this evening: the point in the queue where the stand by and express lines merge (edited for clarity). It’s the second time I’ve seen it unattended by a TM.

Also noticed Snowball’s plans ripped from the wall. Wish people would treat things nicer.

Last edited:
I found another point of infliction this evening: the point in the queue where the stand by and express lines merge (edited for clarity). It’s the second time I’ve seen it unattended by a TM.

Also noticed Snowball’s plans ripped from the wall. Wish people would treat things nicer.
We saw that on Sunday as well. The unmanned express merge and the pictures ripped off the wall.

First the express merge. Was funny that those in the express line just assumed they could go ahead of us. I just merged in because I wasn't going to wait. I noticed at one point the regular line and the express were forming two lines. But they had 4 employees at the entrance to the ride.

The pictures on the wall. Sad that people are already destroying the queue line. Just left today and they did a half ass fix to the walls by painting them, but did not fix the damage to the walls. Hopefully USH can invest in some proper patching material, smooth out the walls, and fix them.

We saw that on Sunday as well. The unmanned express merge and the pictures ripped off the wall.

First the express merge. Was funny that those in the express line just assumed they could go ahead of us. I just merged in because I wasn't going to wait. I noticed at one point the regular line and the express were forming two lines. But they had 4 employees at the entrance to the ride.

The pictures on the wall. Sad that people are already destroying the queue line. Just left today and they did a half ass fix to the walls by painting them, but did not fix the damage to the walls. Hopefully USH can invest in some proper patching material, smooth out the walls, and fix them.
Probably need to line it off like Disney did when they redid the Peter Pan queue at Magic Kingdom. It has the rooms of the Darling house like Pets, but with visitors a bit away from physical touch of the rooms and possessions, it doesn't get destroyed.

The queue was also designed for guests to keep moving and not stopping for multiple extended amounts of time like we’ve experienced. This queue damage would be reduced greatly if the loading was consistent.

I don’t know if this is true. I’ve entered this queue without a real line until the Captain Snowball pre show scene and have encountered multiple families stopping to watch the show scene elements of the queue. Even when you could theoretically walk right to the load station, lots of people seem to be stopping.

Yes, Jon Corfino mentioned during the media walking tour last year that guests can walk through the apartment rooms at their convenience, stopping to watch scenes play out.

Y'all are right, this ride loads slow.

EDIT:
Like, the only ride that's loaded slower than this is Navi River Journey.

And people are touching everything, lol.

Last edited: