Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread | Page 82 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Moving on....

Do we know how tall Starfall Racers is supposed to be? I just drove past the construction site on Destination Parkway and the support structure looks absolutely massive. At least 150 feet, if not well over that. It could always be the angle though.

Moving on....

Do we know how tall Starfall Racers is supposed to be? I just drove past the construction site on Destination Parkway and the support structure looks absolutely massive. At least 150 feet, if not well over that. It could always be the angle though.
I had the same thought when I saw supports from Sand Lake-- this is pretty tall. I'm guessing it tops out around 120' but it's hard to tell from a distance and since the site is higher than the surrounding roads.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I had the same thought when I saw supports from Sand Lake-- this is pretty tall. I'm guessing it tops out around 120' but it's hard to tell from a distance and since the site is higher than the surrounding roads.
I thought it might be about 130 until I saw a lone support going even higher. It gets taller every time I drive past.

I think ultimately this ride will be a hit. Here’s the thing, when I was a child, I saw the facade to Haunted Mansion and said “aw hell no.” Didn’t go on.

I saw Big Thunder, was nervous, but I could see what was going on so I felt comfortable.

This ride, while shorter and likely more tame, is kinda like Big Thunder to me. Many kids will see the castle facade and chicken out, but with the coaster being right there at the front I think it may eat crowds more than we expect, especially if the ride time isn’t crazy long.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I know Epic Universe's layout and it's design to create individual, immersive lands doesn't really allow for it, but I wish the dueling coaster were like Velocicoaster where you could view it off-ride from multiple angles. But we'll see what we can see when it's all finished. I'm sure there will be some sort of off-ride wow factor with it once you're in the park.

That coaster confuses me because it seems to start off on level two, roll out to launch on level 1 then comes back and launch on level 3. I really want to see what the station interior and the front of the coaster will look like! It is shaping up to have some serious curb appeal!

This is from memory but I think launch 2 is the same height as the station.

From the hub, it's going to look fabulous plus some good kinetic energy.

I think ultimately this ride will be a hit. Here’s the thing, when I was a child, I saw the facade to Haunted Mansion and said “aw hell no.” Didn’t go on.

I saw Big Thunder, was nervous, but I could see what was going on so I felt comfortable.

This ride, while shorter and likely more tame, is kinda like Big Thunder to me. Many kids will see the castle facade and chicken out, but with the coaster being right there at the front I think it may eat crowds more than we expect, especially if the ride time isn’t crazy long.
YES-- all the time with nieces and nephews this is the case. If they can see the ride and what it does they'll ride. When it's all in a box they're afraid of the unknown.

I still remember my first visit to Magic Kingdom (I was 10) and absolutely freaking out on the People Mover when it went into Space Mountain because I was convinced my parents tricked me into riding a roller coaster.

YES-- all the time with nieces and nephews this is the case. If they can see the ride and what it does they'll ride. When it's all in a box they're afraid of the unknown.

I still remember my first visit to Magic Kingdom (I was 10) and absolutely freaking out on the People Mover when it went into Space Mountain because I was convinced my parents tricked me into riding a roller coaster.

I wonder how much this has changed with most new rides having an IP attached.

My nephew wouldn't ride Space Mountain because it's a roller coaster but wanted to ride Cosmic Rewind because Baby Groot.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
This is from memory but I think launch 2 is the same height as the station.

From the hub, it's going to look fabulous plus some good kinetic energy.
I went back and watch and yep, it's the same level. To me, the hub coaster seems to be a new way of doing a hyper coaster, the launched replaced the 200ft+ lift the the MCBR was replaced by a launch. I am here for the airtime!

My nephew wouldn't ride Space Mountain because it's a roller coaster but wanted to ride Cosmic Rewind because Baby Groot.
I agree with this take that the IP’s help kids “know” what to expect.

How this IP is literal Monsters so this coaster is probably signifcantly needed to not turn away a majority of families.

I'm the opposite. If I am enclosed and can't see what I am about to do to myself, I am less nervous. Same for coasters that have that long, slow climb to the top...nope, never happening. Shoot me out of a cannon (i.e., Hulk) and I have no problem! lol

That can help, but generally the enjoyed the rides at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens more than Disney and Universal because they could see what they were. That's why some of the longest lines at Magic Kingdom are Dumbo and Barn Stormer-- small rides that you can see exactly what they do.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the four portals as they come together and how they relate to the hub area:

I assume once the first Universal Blvd/Kirkman hotel is done they turn to Helios then come back to the second Universal Blvd/Kirkman hotel, with the foundation work happening during construction of Helios.

Looks like Monsters coaster is a full circuit now:

That's a lot of cranes and coaster supports in one shot!

Now is when I start to get excited for what is to come! Looks like the colors for the potter buildings are starting to be added. Time for universal to make things official!
Definitely. Last year was foundation stuff. Hopefully this year we get a lot of facades. I think they will wait on colors and walkways until a year out. That stuff gets damaged easily with construction happening all around it.

Reactions: OrlLover and jarmor
Definitely. Last year was foundation stuff. Hopefully this year we get a lot of facades. I think they will wait on colors and walkways until a year out. That stuff gets damaged easily with construction happening all around it.
Depends. I can see the trees and walkways for the Monsters land going up sooner than later, that whole area will be heavy on landscaping. Potter on the other hand can wait for a while.

I assume once the first Universal Blvd/Kirkman hotel is done they turn to Helios then come back to the second Universal Blvd/Kirkman hotel, with the foundation work happening during construction of Helios.
In a few months the company erecting 912 along Kirkman/Universal will move to 913, its sister hotel. Groundbreaking is supposed to start in March. These two hotels are being erected by a different company as 910 (Helios) and using a different method. 910 has been under construction for nearly the same time as 912 already, it’s just going to take a lot longer to go up because it’s using a more traditional building method.