Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 372 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else see the comedy of a family friendly roller coaster in the MONSTERS area of the park? Good luck trying to talk a kid onto that!

Anyone else see the comedy of a family friendly roller coaster in the MONSTERS area of the park? Good luck trying to talk a kid onto that!
I think you underestimate kids. I've been giving a neighbor's 6yo a ride to school the last couple of weeks and just today she was talking about monsters with glee. If you don't teach kids to be afraid they rarely are

Do you really expect Universal to design a park with a whole land presented in a way that precludes kids (and therefore, families with kids)? No, really. Are you expecting the Monsters to be a scarezone from open to close? Because that would be remarkably short-sighted.

And that touches on why I think a family coaster here is a much better investment than a show. Basically, there needs to be something that visually attracts kids to that area of the park. A “monster ride” implies scary. A “monsters show” implies not kid-suitable. An outdoor family coaster is far less questionable for everyone in a nothing else would be outside a flat spinner. That’s why I’ve been such a big advocate for Scooby Doo’s Spooky Carnival as a Monster’s mini-land.

I also think a coaster adds some kinetics to the land which was sorely lacking compared to the other lands. Nintendo and Dragons are notably “busy,” but even the Ministries will likely have a lot of “movement” with projections and screens. Monsters had none of that.

Do you really expect Universal to design a park with a whole land presented in a way that precludes kids (and therefore, families with kids)? No, really. Are you expecting the Monsters to be a scarezone from open to close? Because that would be remarkably short-sighted.

And that touches on why I think a family coaster here is a much better investment than a show. Basically, there needs to be something that visually attracts kids to that area of the park. A “monster ride” implies scary. A “monsters show” implies not kid-suitable. An outdoor family coaster is far less questionable for everyone in a nothing else would be outside a flat spinner. That’s why I’ve been such a big advocate for Scooby Doo’s Spooky Carnival as a Monster’s mini-land.

I also think a coaster adds some kinetics to the land which was sorely lacking compared to the other lands. Nintendo and Dragons are notably “busy,” but even the Ministries will likely have a lot of “movement” with projections and screens. Monsters had none of that.

Im guessing the arm ride will be roughly as scary as Mummy and JWA.

I mean, some might argue that a quaint (and spooky) Bavarian village would be a welcome contrast to the "busier" elements of the other lands.

I'd like an intensity level similar to the Dementors scene in Forbidden Journey, which I think is one of the scariest scenes in any dark ride.

ETA: Sorry for the double post.

Which you’ll know after you ride it. Not before. When I was 6, I had to literally get dragged onto Jaws because the commercial terrified me with a shark “biting through a boat.”

I'd like an intensity level similar to the Dementors scene in Forbidden Journey, which I think is one of the scariest scenes in any dark ride.

ETA: Sorry for the double post.
I'll take no less than the arm dragging me face-first across a craggy stone wall, but I'm cognizant and appreciative that people have differing levels of comfort with ride intensity.

• Haha
Reactions: PenguinCowboy
Quite often manufacturers will cut deals with parks for exclusives if they commit to buying more. Busch/SeaWorld has/had a contract that kept competitors from being able to purchase B&M coasters in the same market area. If they did something similar with RMC they may have an exclusive for the market area (central FL) for a certain time period as long as they buy more for other parks.
None of that has been proven factual. Coasters go up for bids. Whatever company can provide the best bang for the buck gets the job. As well as who is available. Which is why Kumba is B&M and Drachen Fire was Arrow. Busch/SeaWorld did not stop any park from getting a Beemer, it was availability that did that. In the beginning, they were only limiting themselves to creating 3-4 coasters a year world wide. The most they have ever did was about 8 a year. If a park near busch/seaworld park didn't have a B&M coaster, it was out of basically not wanting one and not some embargo which is a rumor started by enthusiast with no proof at all or B&M or any park going on record and confirming it. I don't see EU getting an RMC as it does not seem to fit in with the type of attractions they are going for. Well, I think creative can probably shake some things together with a single rail, but a typical RMC I dont see it.

No, actually it has been proven. Kings Dominion was the only MAJOR park not to have a B&M of any kind, and only got a B&M from CF relocating one there. There was/is an exclusive for that market area with Busch.

If you look at Orlando you'll see that both Universal and SeaWorld have B&Ms, but they never duplicated the same type between the two. I have a feeling that's part of why they're starting construction on "Project Penguin" right now at SeaWorld. They have a deal for "world's first" but have to get it built before that expires.

The manufacturers and park owners make all kinds of deals like this. I believe CF has/had a deal where they had to purchase 1 B&M a year for some kind of price break or exclusivity for market area. The coaster they bought for CA Great America couldn't happen so they moved it last minute to Kings Island (Orion).

I'm not daft. I never said I'm expecting this place to be a scarezone. But it is safe to assume that this will be the "scariest" land to walk through and I'll tell you with experience, it's a lot easier to talk a spooked kid on something called "Flight of the Hippogriff" versus "Revenge of the Mummy". I'm sure it'll all be OK in the end.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Status
Not open for further replies.