Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 402 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Universal is quietly working on deals for more land/frontage around Universal Blvd. Probably on some of the more unsightly things on that stretch, like the shopping center with the liquor store at Universal Blvd/Sand Lake Rd. Or the shopping center across from Westgate Resorts. If they can clean up some of the sprawl of that area, leaving only partner hotels/timeshares, it wouldn’t be so bad to ride a bus through there. But I doubt they’d want to open the floodgates and let people put up competitors’ billboards for their captive audience along that stretch.

Reactions: DisneyDoof
I'd assume if they go for a railed mode of transport, it'd have to be a Light Rail. And if that's the case, the only major group I can think of is Bombardlier and more of their modern systems. But outside of that, I see the dedicated bus lane being the far more likely scenario.
I agree with your assessment. Cost factor primarily.

....And if that's the case, the only major group I can think of is Bombardlier and more of their modern systems. But outside of that, I see the dedicated bus lane being the far more likely scenario.

As a resident of Toronto Canada I'd hope to hell they don't use Bombardier. They can't deliver anything on time. They are years behind delivering our street cars as well as ones they owe Kitchener which is a city about an hour west of us. And of the ones they've delivered, 67 of the 89 have had to been sent back for repair only a couple of years into using them.

The company would have gone out of business long ago if it didn't keep getting bailed out by the government up here.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Universal is quietly working on deals for more land/frontage around Universal Blvd. Probably on some of the more unsightly things on that stretch, like the shopping center with the liquor store at Universal Blvd/Sand Lake Rd. Or the shopping center across from Westgate Resorts. If they can clean up some of the sprawl of that area, leaving only partner hotels/timeshares, it wouldn’t be so bad to ride a bus through there. But I doubt they’d want to open the floodgates and let people put up competitors’ billboards for their captive audience along that stretch.

I don't think they will ever be done buying up land. They really don't need to buy up too much more to connect the two resorts.

Reactions: HPFred
Wouldn't be surprised to see a dedicated bus lane added from the north property to the south property down the center of Kirkman Rd, much the way Disney added the dedicated bus lanes for Disney Springs.

Last edited:
Oh, it'd be great, but a monorail is something I have no faith we'll actually see
Or they could go way of Disney Skyliner (branded Universal). According to , Disney is so happy with it that an expansion to Aninal Kingdom Lodge, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, Corando Springs, and Typhoon Lagoon is planned in a few years.

But, Universal would steel Disney’s thunder if they outdid Disney and built the next generation Bombardiar model!

Okay, I am forecasting the route of the monorail that will connect the two properties. This is just a rough estimate and does not show its route north or south through the properties or where it may loop...
Rail or no rail debate aside, the route you came up with is actually quite impressive. Not only did you minimize impacts to private property, you did so while shortening the length of any previous options presented here.
Looking for a job? I need another right-of-way mapper in my department.

For the mode of transportation debate... aboveground hyperloop anyone?

By the way, I believe the original route for the monorail in the original property plans went along Universal Boulevard. I believe the median or shoulders of Universal Boulevard was designed to be wide enough for monorail pylons. The original plan connected the existing parking structures with a station for a the monorail system, which sounded like a great idea. There were also provisions in place to connect it with the defunct Florida High Speed Rail system. Now, All Aboard Florida is interested in using that right of way for expansion of its system.

For the mode of transportation debate... aboveground hyperloop anyone?

According to Musk he'll be able to build 20 layers of tunnels in LA for car traffic, so what's so challenging about Central Florida marshland by comparison?

I'm team gondola. Then team light rail / monorail. I'm not sure a light rail would be that much cheaper than a monorail if it wasn't at grade... but at least you don't have to buy as many unique/custom parts or cars. I'd bet an airport-type peoplemover is most likely, if they're planning a fixed connection.

And I think if they really, really want to be competitive with Disney and build something amazing, they'll go for it. They'll have a much harder time keeping guests 'on property' than Disney with 2 distinct resorts; a fixed, fast connection that is smooth and enjoyable to ride (huge, huge bonus of rail compared with buses) would help convince people they are in a special vacation bubble.

Presently, Universal's big advantage is their unique immersiveness with everything within walking (or water taxi) distance. The challenge is to recreate this with a new property that is apx. a short two miles away. How they do this is crucial to the future success of the resort. The 'bubble feeling ' must be maintained for the expansion to work.

I say we run underground people movers from park to park, just like the parking garage at the north site. Mid way you would stop and have lunch at the new Summer hotel and finally by the time you reach the south site your hotel room would be ready for check in...haha

But in all seriousness, light rail would look the best and be most functional, but I see dedicated bus lanes north and south, much like Disney, with a stop mid way at the Summer hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.