Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars Themed Land Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guest spending, however, is in the toilet. People are often far too focused on attendance when in reality it matters very little as long as guests spend an arm and a leg inside the parks.

Attendance being up and the fact that they never discount admissions.Only a 20.00 discount on an eight hundred dollar annual pass renewal.(that is one week of admission) so unless you are going the week your renewal comes up it is cheaper to let it lapse and buy a new one on next trip.They are doing a cost benefit analysis .Something they have years of data on.They spend 500 million-1 billion on a Star Wars land .Will it pull from Universal or from one of their own parks.Probablly pull more from their own parks until phase 2 is a few years old.That is when I see a green light on a Star Wars land in Orlando.

Personally, instead of expanding SW at HS into a land, I would add SW to all 4 parks to achieve maximum synergy. Replace Avatar w/ a SW "zoo" at AK (as has been discussed), replace Stitch w/ SW (maybe a Vader encounter w/ all kinds of force effects) and redo Universe of Energy w/ a SW overlay. Throw in some Meet n Greets and some shows and I think it would be successful.

Personally, instead of expanding SW at HS into a land, I would add SW to all 4 parks to achieve maximum synergy. Replace Avatar w/ a SW "zoo" at AK (as has been discussed), replace Stitch w/ SW (maybe a Vader encounter w/ all kinds of force effects) and redo Universe of Energy w/ a SW overlay. Throw in some Meet n Greets and some shows and I think it would be successful.

i think that would be star wars over kill...im all for expansion of sw but thats too much...diversity of properties is key

Guest spending, however, is in the toilet. People are often far too focused on attendance when in reality it matters very little as long as guests spend an arm and a leg inside the parks.

Same reason why so many developers go to iOS first/ever and not Android. High attendance and low guest spending equals high AP and ticket prices, and could spell the end for a park.

The running rumor is that a land is coming, but I have not heard anything substantial.

This is very true but DHS is not the park where guest spending is in the toilet.

Star Wars merch, Muppets, Indy and Toy Story and the thrill rides all sell souvenirs well.

EPCOT and Animal Kingdom are where the merch hurts.

Not a big Star Wars fan, but Disney turning their "Eye of Saron" on the IP has me concerned. Multiple new movies, TV shows, games, theme park expansions, etc.

I am guessing Disney will beat the IP to within an inch of its life with super saturation marketing. With the brain trust at corporate Disney seeing $$$$$ in the IP, I bet Star Wars will be as hip as Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? soon.

Not a big Star Wars fan, but Disney turning their "Eye of Saron" on the IP has me concerned. Multiple new movies, TV shows, games, theme park expansions, etc.

I am guessing Disney will beat the IP to within an inch of its life with super saturation marketing. With the brain trust at corporate Disney seeing $$$$$ in the IP, I bet Star Wars will be as hip as Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? soon.
Yep I agree, but I really want to drink some blue milk in the Cantina!

This is very true but DHS is not the park where guest spending is in the toilet.

Star Wars merch, Muppets, Indy and Toy Story and the thrill rides all sell souvenirs well.

EPCOT and Animal Kingdom are where the merch hurts.

DHS & Epcot are artificially propped up by their associated festivals.

star tours is enough. Disney wouldnt be able to bring out the best out of Star Wars as Universal was able to do with Potter.

I don't think Universal brought out the best of Potter in their attractions at IOA. They did cheap rethemes of two coasters, and the Forbidden Journey ride doesn't capture the magic of Potter, it just shoves a bunch of monsters from the Potter world into your face(and it makes many riders ill).

Imagine how awesome a trackless family dark ride through Hogwarts castle would have been. We each could have had a wand and actually performed spells as we explored the castle. Like the books and movies, the family could have experienced the magic of Potter together. They still could have created Forbidden Journey as a separate attraction through the Forbidden Forest for thrill-seekers, but Potter lacks that family attraction that was needed to make it special.

I don't think Universal brought out the best of Potter in their attractions at IOA. They did cheap rethemes of two coasters, and the Forbidden Journey ride doesn't capture the magic of Potter, it just shoves a bunch of monsters from the Potter world into your face(and it makes many riders ill).

Imagine how awesome a trackless family dark ride through Hogwarts castle would have been. We each could have had a wand and actually performed spells as we explored the castle. Like the books and movies, the family could have experienced the magic of Potter together. They still could have created Forbidden Journey as a separate attraction through the Forbidden Forest for thrill-seekers, but Potter lacks that family attraction that was needed to make it special.

The lack of an E Ticket family attraction in Potter, and indeed in all of IoA, is a real issue. There will be guests who simply refuse to consider Universal as they see it as only a thrill park(s).

But I would not call the rest of WWoHP cheap or not the best of Potter. What everyone gets out of Potter is unique to them (as is the case with all books), but it's clear Universal Creative & JK are looking for representation of the Potter world during and after Goblet of Fire. This time frame is darker, more intense, and less young kids running around playing life size chess.

I agree that they're going to over-do it with Star Wars, as it only makes sense to them considering how much they paid for it. Their return on investment, however, will hinge entirely on the quality of the stuff they put out. Will a Boba Fett spin-off film be terrible? Probably. But if they manage to get a decent writer involved and make the movie no-one is expecting, they could possibly even IMPROVE the franchise as a whole and be excused from the inevitable market saturation.

The lack of an E Ticket family attraction in Potter, and indeed in all of IoA, is a real issue. There will be guests who simply refuse to consider Universal as they see it as only a thrill park(s).

Guess Spiderman and Cat in the Hat aren't family E-Tickets with low height requirements...

Status
Not open for further replies.