The Amity Demolition Thread | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

The Amity Demolition Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your plethora of pertinent pictures Bob! Now, for my dumb observation... we have been looking at them for weeks now, but it just hit me that these are the first steel framed construction walls I have seen/noticed. They have been made of two by fours and plywood for decades, but here they are as steel and what appears to be some composite covering.

All of the WWoHP walls were wood... so this is a kind of 'V8' new approach. (not sure that the younger here will get my reference)

I prefer to frame with steel for interior partitions. It's easier to work with and much faster. I know that these are outside, but have the same benefits. As far as the composite sheating. It is much easier to keep clean.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for your plethora of pertinent pictures Bob! Now, for my dumb observation... we have been looking at them for weeks now, but it just hit me that these are the first steel framed construction walls I have seen/noticed. They have been made of two by fours and plywood for decades, but here they are as steel and what appears to be some composite covering.

All of the WWoHP walls were wood... so this is a kind of 'V8' new approach. (not sure that the younger here will get my reference)

Universal is green, perhaps the composit material and the steel / aluminum is recycled material? Notice that the nick store also uses the new wall... while some other things from recent erra used wood walls...

V8 as in the juice? :shrug: fruits and veggies? :p Meaning a combination of both materials?

See, I told ya! The vegetable juice's advertising campaign years ago was hitting ones palm to the side of the head
and saying, "I could have had a V8!" It was a duh/eureka moment... a 'what a smart idea!'

Universal is green, perhaps the composit material and the steel / aluminum is recycled material? Notice that the nick store also uses the new wall... while some other things from recent erra used wood walls...

I have had someone offer a clue as to why in private. Anyone here have a picture of what the walls were made of back in January?

Last edited:
I prefer to frame with steel for interior partitions. It's easier to work with and much faster. I know that these are outside, but have the same benefits. As far as the composite sheating. It is much easier to keep clean.

Just thinking out loud.

They don't rot, warp, or burn as a metal framer the only down fall is they can slice you seven ways from Sunday and won't think twice about it.
Also when stacked and stored they take up half the space of 2x4s and are easy to disassemble.

Maybe they put these ones up because the area is more susceptible to wind gusts??? Didn't the previous ones just get knocked over roughly a month ago?

Well with most of the Lost Continent Potter walls they were put up in the two entry/exit points of the former areas of the Celtic Lost Continent area. There was a bridge built to bypass this so the contact from guests was minimal compared to these.

These line the place like a hallway where Amity was and have to survive all of that time with tons of guests traveling through busiest crowds(including HHN) so these walls need to last the entire time and all those elements.

Maybe they put these ones up because the area is more susceptible to wind gusts??? Didn't the previous ones just get knocked over roughly a month ago?

That is the conjecture presented to me... :wave:

Update: Just checked, the wall have been made from steel and composite board since Jan. 2, 2012. So, perhaps they blew over in the wind because they are so much lighter. Is the facing that corrugated plastic board?:

http://corrugatedplastics.net/4mmFlutedCorrugatedPlasticSheets.html

Not like you might think, they are galvanized, its rare that they rust and they are stored outside at supply yards.

Thanks, I really didn't have a clue if they were galvanized or how they would hold up in Florida's humidity.

Last edited:
Are we really spending this much time on walls?:lol:

Sorry, I really am. But as Disneyhead will attest... I am a goon about how every little microscopic thing is executed in a themepark. If the Rainman had a weird compulsion about numbers than I have an even weirder compulsion about themepark engineering; right down to the lightbulbs and water pumps.

^ And this is why sites like this exist. Some people like coasters, some heavy theming, and others its most fun to watch and learn how its done. I just love the whole process and am constantly analyzing all types of details and decisions. And its not just for theme parks although its definitely my favorite.

Reactions: Felipe
Is that what that is?

I was hoping for a sound barrier wall to go up around there to block the sound any future events and attractions will have on the all too close apartment complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.