What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tower of Terror

It's clear that Mission: Space is not directly themed to MISSION TO MARS, the film. Sinise is not supposed to be the same character, for example.

I think it's also clear that there is some degree of intentional overlap between the ride and the movie. Props, basic storyline, the presence of Sinise (even as a different character).

"Inspired by" rather than "themed to" is a fair distinction, I'd say.
100% agree

Wikipedia says that the theme is Mission to Mars...
I would say it's similar to how the haunted house Body Collectors used elements from Buffy the Vampire Slayer but told its own story...Mission Space uses elements from Mission to Mars...Like...going to Mars...I guess :shrug:

I'll be honest, I've never heard of Mission to Mars

I was always thought that maybe the ride was intended to to be based on Mission to Mars but the movie flopped and they had to course correct as best they could.

Not to be that guy but Mission: Space is based on an IP. Mission to Mars(film). So your point is invalid.

The fact you had to totally backtrack this argument because it’s so wrong pretty much proves his point is not invalid. You can’t just state something and say it’s invalid.

Bringing it back. So I am going to do TOT at DHS for the first time next week. I love Mission Break out at DCA. What makes the original special?

It's so good it's almost impossible to describe. If I had to try, I'd say atmosphere, and placemaking with the ultra-detailed set dressing and perfect music. There's just detail absolutely everywhere.

The fact you had to totally backtrack this argument because it’s so wrong pretty much proves his point is not invalid. You can’t just state something and say it’s invalid.
I didn’t backtrack. My argument wasn’t wrong and I can state whatever I like. It’s called an opinion. It’s not my problem if you don’t agree with it. Moving on.

Anyway, I still believe TOT will be replaced in some capacity someday. Only time will tell. Ironically, the Uni/Marvel contract is what saved Sunset Boulevard.

I didn’t backtrack. My argument wasn’t wrong and I can state whatever I like. It’s called an opinion. It’s not my problem if you don’t agree with it. Moving on.

Anyway, I still believe TOT will be replaced in some capacity someday. Only time will tell. Ironically, the Uni/Marvel contract is what saved Sunset Boulevard.
Your assertion that the Marvel that Uni/Marvel saved ToT is laughably incorrect as GotG is one of the few major Marvel groups/Characters that can be used at WDW. And they are getting a ride in Epcot currently.

Your assertion that the Marvel that Uni/Marvel saved ToT is laughably incorrect as GotG is one of the few major Marvel groups/Characters that can be used at WDW. And they are getting a ride in Epcot currently.
How is it laughable? Do you really expect Disney to make an entire land with 2 rides and shows based on Guardians? Epcot was easier for them. They just need to swamp out one ride.

How is it laughable? Do you really expect Disney to make an entire land with 2 rides and shows based on Guardians? Epcot was easier for them. They just need to swamp out one ride.
No, but our ToT was slated for the overlay and if they really wanted a Marvel land in WDW, the could’ve used Strange overlay of RNRC as @Scott W. said.

Was it honestly considered?

I don’t see how they could implement it with the 5th dimension scene.
It was very seriously considered from what I know. The 5th dimension scene is why it didn’t get the layover as it wouldn’t be a straight clone. It’s also why I’m surprised that Paris’ version ISNT getting Mission Breakout since that *would* be a straight clone.

They could also have Dr Strange as a RnRC retheme. Wouldn't be crazy.
Well the point I was trying to make is that DHS studios would of been the park of big IP lands. Star Wars, Toy Story, and Marvel. This is evident with Walt Disney Studios in Paris. They obviously are extremely limited here in Orlando with Marvel. Disney decided that Epcot needed the Guardians Ride much more. Which I agree. Sunset Boulevard would of definitely been Avengers Campus. No one is changing my mind on that.

Well the point I was trying to make is that DHS studios would of been the park of big IP lands. Star Wars, Toy Story, and Marvel. This is evident with Walt Disney Studios in Paris. They obviously are extremely limited here in Orlando with Marvel. Disney decided that Epcot needed the Guardians Ride much more. Which I agree. Sunset Boulevard would of definitely been Avengers Campus. No one is changing my mind on that.
Can or will Marvel have some presence in the WDW Parks? Sure.

Do they have the ability to make that area specific an Avengers Campus? No-Universal has the main characters you need for that locked up tight.

Can or will Marvel have some presence in the WDW Parks? Sure.

Do they have the ability to make that area specific an Avengers Campus? No-Universal has the main characters you need for that locked up tight.
The idea was never that it would be an Avengers Campus as that's obviously off-limits, but that they would create a superhero area. I personally think we got lucky we escaped something like that at the end of Sunset.

The idea was never that it would be an Avengers Campus as that's obviously off-limits, but that they would create a superhero area. I personally think we got lucky we escaped something like that at the end of Sunset.

Exactly. As bad as GotG 'fits' in Epcot, it's much better than the alternative.

GotG was going somewhere. And I'd much rather it take up the spot of an unused building in the corner of Epcot w/ a unique ride instead of doing an overlay of 2 existing rides. And it appeared that was our only two options.
To be frank, I'm shocked they settled on the former.